Homemade Breakfast Sausage (Freezer Friendly!)
I love the flavor of breakfast sausage and it’s even better when it’s homemade and I know exactly what’s in it!
This recipe uses the perfect combination of savory and spice mixed into ground pork. Casing free, they can be shaped like patties or even cooked in a pan to add to breakfast casseroles.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
We love this popular recipe because not only is breakfast sausages fun to make but it tastes great.
Make it your own. Milder? Spicier? Simply add or subtract the amounts of the seasonings you like best.
Want to make it healthy? Sub out ground turkey for pork to lean it up a little bit.
What Gives Breakfast Sausage Its Flavor?
Pork has a mild flavor that can be mixed and matched with many different seasonings and spices. Fennel, sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and smoked paprika, all of the most savory spices with a depth of flavor are what make this breakfast sausage recipe so delicious!
We like to make the spice blend in advance and store it in a jar so it’s always ready to add to meat for a quick sausage!
How to Make Breakfast Sausages from Scratch
- Using your hands, combine all of the seasonings with ground pork in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Divide mixture into 6 equal patties. Fry in a hot skillet (add a little butter if you like) until both sides are browned and crispy, about 4 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips and Tricks
- It’s easier to blend the seasonings together first, then add them to the ground pork so they are evenly dispersed during the mixing process.
- Sausage patties can be pan-fried or baked, but we prefer pan-fried so both sides get a little bit crispy!
- Swap out bacon and add these to your favorite Breakfast Sandwich.
How to Store Breakfast Sausage
- Keep cooked patties in the fridge for about a week in an airtight container.
- Patties are easy to freeze in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside and they will keep about 2 months.
Did you make these Homemade Breakfast Sausages? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Homemade Breakfast Sausages
These breakfast sausages are perfectly seasoned and so savory!
Combine pork and all seasonings in a medium bowl. Mix very well.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Divide meat into 6 patties, ½” thick.
Heat a skillet over medium heat.
Add patties (and a pat of butter if you’d like) and cook 4 minutes per side or until lightly browned.
For a spicy sausage, add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or extra chili flakes.
To crush spices place them in a small sandwich bag and crush them with a rolling pin or meat mallet.
Ground turkey can be substituted for some or all of the ground pork.
Serving: 1patty, Calories: 201, Carbohydrates: 1g, Protein: 13g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 54mg, Sodium: 431mg, Potassium: 217mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 33IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 13mg, Iron: 1mg
Keyword best breakfast sausage recipe, Breakfast Sausages, homemade Breakfast Sausages, how to make breakfast sausages