Cream cheese mashed potatoes are rich and creamy, a favorite side dish!
Everyone loves mashed potatoes, they’re the perfect comfort food and they welcome additions like garlic and of course cream cheese. Serve with a sprinkle of chives and some butter and watch them disappear!
Easy and Delish!
Potato casseroles like scalloped potatoes are a favorite but we love these because they’re faster to make.
Not only is it great to make-ahead, you need just a few simple ingredients to put this together.
POTATOES The best potatoes for cream cheese mashed potatoes are russets or Yukon golds because they are starchy and naturally creamy. Unpeeled red potatoes can be used and for a little more texture and color, if desired.
DAIRY Some butter, milk, and our secret ingredient, cream cheese, guarantees that this will be the side dish everyone reaches for first!
GARLIC 3 cloves of garlic are boiled with the potatoes. Combined with the dairy and some salt & pepper, these potatoes are the best side dish ever.
- Feel free to stir in favorites like caramelized onions, chives, roasted garlic, or fresh herbs like parsley or even dill.
- Try a flavored cream cheese like herb and garlic or chive and onion to change it up. Or add in the same flavorings you add to twice baked potatoes.
- Make cream cheese mashed potatoes into a casserole by spreading into a baking dish and dotting with butter and spices. Bake until the top is crispy and butter melts into the potatoes.
- To make this a low carb option, swap potatoes with cauliflower.
How to Make Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
Cream cheese mashed potatoes come together in 1, 2, 3!
- Add prepared potatoes with garlic & salt to cold water & boil potatoes until tender.
- Drain potatoes & put them back in the warm pot.
- Add warmed milk, cream cheese, & butter, mash until thick & creamy.
- Keep leftover cream cheese mashed potatoes covered in the refrigerator and they will keep about 5 days.
- Freeze mashed potatoes in zippered bags with the date labeled on the outside and they’ll keep about 10 months.
- Let them thaw in the refrigerator or heat from frozen.
More Potato Favorites
Did you make these Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes
These mashed potatoes are creamy & savory with the perfect amount of garlic & butter.
Peel potatoes and cut into 1″ chunks. Place in a large pot of cold salted water with the garlic cloves.
Bring potatoes to a boil and cook uncovered 15-20 minutes or until fork-tender.
Drain well and place potatoes & garlic cloves back into the warmed pot.
Warm milk in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warm.
Add cream cheese and butter to the potatoes and using a masher, mash potatoes.
Add warmed milk a little bit at a time while continuing to mash until smooth and creamy.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Calories: 345, Carbohydrates: 5g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 35g, Saturated Fat: 21g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Sodium: 330mg, Potassium: 132mg, Sugar: 3g, Vitamin A: 1292IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 101mg, Iron: 1mg
Keyword Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes, Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe, how to make mashed potatoes with cream cheese, mashed potatoes