Creamy Turnip Soup (Ready in 30 Minutes!)
Turnips are a flavorful root veggie, perfect turned into a warm creamy soup on a chilly day!
Turnips have a lovely flavor, a combination of cabbage and radish. They can be bitter when eaten raw but become mild-flavored and slightly sweet when cooked.
Turnips work well in just about any recipe that calls for a potato or a sweet potato. They can be mashed, baked, roasted, or made into fries or even a casserole.
To Prep Turnips
I prefer to peel the turnips (along with the apple and potato) as it gives a smoother consistency to this soup.
VEGGIES The turnips are the primary flavor in this recipe. A potato adds to the creamy texture while the apple adds a very subtle fresh flavor.
SEASONINGS Salt & curry powder are added to the soup for an extra kick!
ADDITIONS Once the soup is fully prepared, feel free to add sliced mushrooms, shredded chicken, cubes of ham, or even macaroni for a chunky version. Turnip soup is great for leftover meats and veggies!
PRO TIP: For a vegetarian version, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
How To Make Turnip Soup
An immersion blender is the easiest way to blend this to a creamy consistency. Turnip soup is so easy to make, it’s ready in no time at all!
- Sauté onion in oil until tender, add diced veggies, and apple.
- Combine everything except the cream, cook until tender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. If using a countertop blender, close the lid loosely to keep the hot soup from overflowing.
- Stir in cream and reheat. Garnish with fresh herbs or croutons and serve immediately.
How to Store Turnip Soup
- Keep leftover turnip soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it should keep about 4 days.
- To freeze turnip soup, ladle the chilled soup into freezer bags and label them with the date. Freeze flat and then store them upright (like books) to save freezer space! Frozen turnip soup will stay fresh for about 3 months in the freezer.
More Savory Soups
Did you make this Creamy Turnip Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Creamy Turnip Soup
Hearty & delicious, this creamy turnip soup is the perfect soup for lunch or dinner!
Combine olive oil and onion in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until onion is tender.
Meanwhile, dice turnips, potato, and apple into 1″ cubes.
Add all ingredients except cream to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered 12-14 minutes or until all vegetables are very tender.
Using a hand blender or a regular blender*, blend until smooth (see notes for regular blender).
Stir in cream and heat through for 2-3 minutes.
Garnish with herbs and croutons if desired.
Ladle soup into bowls and add a small drizzle of heavy cream. Swirl the cream slightly with a toothpick or skewer to make pretty designs in the soup. Garnish and serve.
Calories: 149, Carbohydrates: 21g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 11mg, Sodium: 985mg, Potassium: 517mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 12g, Vitamin A: 126IU, Vitamin C: 48mg, Calcium: 74mg, Iron: 1mg
Keyword Best Turnip Soup, how to make Turnip Soup, Turnip Soup, Turnip Soup recipe