Air Fryer Acorn Squash – Spend With Pennies
Air fryer acorn squash lets the air fryer work its magic and roast acorn squash to sweet, creamy perfection!
This recipe bakes brown sugar, butter, and a hint of cinnamon into acorn squash halves for a delicious side dish!
Quick and perfectly simple, this is sure to become a family favorite!
Acorn Squash for a Sweet & Savory Side
- Super healthy acorn squash is loaded with fiber and antioxidants and has a mild, sweet and savory flavor that even kids love – this dish will be a family favorite!
- The air fryer can take dense veggies and cook them perfectly in minutes with less fat.
- We love how cooking veggies in the air fryer adds extra caramelization for great flavor.
- Cooking in the air fryer saves time in both clean-up and cooking!
- Serve each half stuffed with seasoned rice, zucchini orzo, or farro pilaf.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Acorn Squash
Squash – Choose whole, intact squash that is free of soft spots or blemishes. Butternut squash and spaghetti squash can be used in place of acorn squash, (adjust the cook times).
Seasonings – A little oil, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon are all that’s needed to make this a stand-alone recipe or an easy side dish. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper if you’d like.
Swaps – Maple syrup, honey, or agave can be used instead of brown sugar. Trade out the cinnamon for other warm spices like apple pie spice or pumpkin spice.
How to Air Fry Acorn Squash
- Cut squash in half with a sharp knife and remove seeds with a spoon.
- Brush squash with oil & sprinkle with salt. Air fry, cut side up, per the recipe below.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl, brush onto acorn squash, & cook until fork tender.
Air Fryer Tips
- Preheat the air fryer so it instantly blasts the food with hot air, then the seasonings are caramelized on the outside and the inside develops a creamy texture.
- Leave a little space between the portions so the air can circulate properly.
- Keep leftover air fryer acorn squash in a covered container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer or cut them into cubes and add to soups, stews, or stir-fries.
- Freeze cooled portions in a zippered bag for up to 4 weeks.
More Acorn Squash Faves
Did you enjoy this Air Fryer Acorn Squash? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Air Fryer Acorn Squash
Acorn squash with a hint of brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, air fried until tender & golden.
Preheat the air fryer to 370°F.
Cut the squash in half and scrape out the seeds with a spoon.
Coat the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Place in the air fryer basket, cut side up, and cook for 15 minutes.
While the squash is cooking, combine melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
Open the air fryer and brush with the brown sugar mixture. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until the flesh is tender and slightly golden.
Freeze cooled squash pieces in a zippered bag for up to 4 weeks. Use in soups, stews, or stir-fries.
Calories: 154 | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 175mg | Potassium: 753mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 879IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.