Spinach Gratin is rich, creamy, and cheesy and this recipe rivals any steakhouse!
An Easy Cheesy Side
You may be familiar with Potatoes Au Gratin but honestly, a gratin can refer to almost anything covered with breadcrumbs or cheese and in this case, I use a bit of both.
- A quick cheesy stovetop creamed spinach is the base of this recipe.
- This can be made with either fresh or frozen spinach.
- Spinach Gratin can be made ahead of time.
- A topping of browned and bubbly cheese takes this to the next level.
SPINACH Chopped fresh spinach will work just as well for this recipe, but I find it easier (and less expensive) to use frozen spinach that comes in 10-ounce packages. Allow the spinach to thaw and drain in a colander.
SAUCE Cream and cream cheese thicken this recipe without having to make a roux. The addition of shredded cheese makes a great sauce. I use Havarti but use your favorites from brie to swiss.
How to Make Spinach Gratin
- Simply melt the sauce ingredients (per recipe below), add cheese and stir in the spinach.
- Spread this spinach mixture into a small dish and top with cheese (and breadcrumbs if you like).
- Bake until bubbly!
Spinach gratin is perfect for add-ins! Sliced mushrooms or water chestnuts will add some crunch!
Make Ahead (& keeping leftovers)
This is a great recipe for making ahead. Prep all of the way until baking and simply bake when you’re ready to serve.
If this is chilly from the fridge, you’ll likely need extra time in the oven (an extra 10-15 minutes).
- Add leftovers to a creamy pasta sauce or use it to make spinach stuffed chicken.
- Refrigerate leftovers 4-5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
- To serve it again after freezing, thaw in the fridge overnight and drain any liquid. Add a sprinkle of fresh cheese and breadcrumbs and reheat in the microwave or oven.
Our Fave Spinach Recipes
Did you love this Spinach Gratin? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Spinach Gratin is so easy to make. The whole family will love this creamy side dish loaded with spinach and topped with cheese!
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Add onion and butter to the pan and cook on medium-low heat until onion is softened.
Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in cream, cream cheese, and salt & pepper until smooth. Simmer 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ cup Havarti and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Add spinach to mixture.
Spread spinach mixture into a 1 ½ qt baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and bread crumbs and bake 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
If made ahead and refrigerated, you will need to add an extra 10 minutes to the bake time.
Serving: 0.25cup, Calories: 170, Carbohydrates: 6g, Protein: 9g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 39mg, Sodium: 318mg, Potassium: 282mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Vitamin A: 8715IU, Vitamin C: 4mg, Calcium: 238mg, Iron: 2mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword best Spinach Gratin, how to make Spinach Gratin, Spinach Gratin, Spinach Gratin Recipe