This Millionaire Shortbread is a rich holiday treat, made with a shortbread base, rich caramel filling, and topped with dark chocolate!
Millionaire Shortbread is an easy cookie bar that usually pops up around the holidays, but it’s a treat we enjoy year-round! With rich salted caramel, crunchy shortbread, and dark chocolate, they are rich but they’re worth every indulgent bite.
It’s that time of year when many get the urge to head to the kitchen and whip up their favorite cookies and Christmas treats. Millionaire Shortbread bars need to be on your baking list!
I love making a few cookie bars with my holiday baking because, with a little prep, you can get a lot of squares to add to your holiday baking trays or boxes to share with neighbors and family.
How to Make Millionaire Shortbread
- Make the crust: combine the butter, sugar, and flour until crumbly.
- Press into pan and bake until lightly golden or dried on top.
- Combine the caramel ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour over the crust and let set completely before adding chocolate.
- Melt chocolate with butter then pour over the caramel and chill to set.
Variations on Millionaire Shortbread
- Swap a couple tablespoons of flour in the shortbread base for cocoa powder for a chocolatey twist!
- After the caramel has boiled, stir in coconut, rum, or almond extract for an extra hit of flavor.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts, dried cranberries, or raisins on the crust before pouring in the caramel
- Swap the dark chocolate for milk or white, or add a drizzle to the top after the topping sets.
How to Store Shortbread
This Millionaire Shortbread is best stored in the refrigerator or freezer. It can be refrigerated in an airtight container for one week or frozen for up to 3 months.
I like to make a batch and keep it in the freezer so that I have some ready whenever I want to take a box of goodies to a friend in need!
More Bars and Squares You’ll Love!
Did your family love this Millionaire Shortbread? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
This Millionaire Shortbread is made with a shortbread base, rich caramel filling and topped with dark chocolate!
Combine flour, butter, and sugar with a mixer or pastry cutter until crumbly. Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake 12 minutes or until slightly puffed and dry. Remove from oven and let cool while you prepare the caramel.
Combine butter, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil, watching carefully and stirring continually.
Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and pour over the crust. Let chill completely in the refrigerator before adding the chocolate.
Place chocolate and cream in a small pot over low heat. Stir constantly until melted and pour over firm caramel layer and spread evenly. Optional: sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate layer is set before slicing.
Squares can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Calories: 240, Carbohydrates: 26g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 10g, Cholesterol: 34mg, Sodium: 88mg, Potassium: 109mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 19g, Vitamin A: 377IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 65mg, Iron: 1mg
Keyword best millionaire shortbread recipe, how to make millionaire shortbread, millionaire shortbread, millionaire shortbread recipe